tattoo aftercare instructions
- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo!
- When you get home: (if tattoo was wrapped to leave the studio) Remove wrap within 1-2 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-wrap. Your tattoo needs to breathe, it is an open wound.
- Wash your tattoo with a neutral soap. Be gentle, do not use a washcloth or anything that will exfoliate your tattoo.
- Gently pat your tattoo dry with a paper towel. Do not rub, or use a fabric with a rough surface.
- The first 3-4 days: Rub a small amount of lotion/ointment on your tattoo. please only use cream supplied by us or from your pharmacy. Always use clean hands and Make sure to rub the ointment in so that it is not shiny, or greasy – you want the thinnest amount possible. Pat off any excess ointment with a clean paper towel. Do not use Vaseline, sudocrem, or nappy
rash cream. Wash, dry, and apply lotion/ointment 1-3 times daily, as needed.
- On the first night, you may want to wrap your tattoo in cling film to prevent sticking to your bedding. Do not use any cloth bandages or pads, as the fibers
of this material can adhere to your open tattoo and hinder the healing process.
- Wear clean, soft clothing over your tattoo for the first 2 weeks– nothing abrasive or irritating. For a foot tattoo: go barefoot as much as possible. If you must wear shoes, first wrap your clean tattoo in cling film, then cover with a clean cotton sock before putting on your shoe. Avoid sandals or flip-flops for this period to prevent chafing and damage to the tattoo.
- After day 3 or 4: Your tattoo will begin to peel. This is normal! Do not pick at the skin. continue using your tattoo cream or you may prefer to switch to an unscented lotion.
- Use lotion for minimum 2 weeks, 1-2 times daily.
Things to Avoid
- Do not pick, scratch, peel, rub your tattoo.
- You can shower, but do not soak your tattoo for 2 weeks. No swimming, sauna, or hot tub.
- Do not expose your tattoo to the sun for at least 3 weeks, after that use minimum spf 50 sunblock.
- Do not wear abrasive materials, jewellery, or shoes that rub against your tattoo.
- Avoid touching your tattoo.
- Avoid going to a gym for at least 1 week (2 is safer).
- Your tattoo will start to flake, peel, and/or scab after a few days, this is normal. Do not pick, peel, or scratch your tattoo during this process. Wash and apply lotion as needed.